Smell or Suspect Natural Gas?
Electric Emergency?
Downed Powerline Call


Call us immediately at 800.477.4747 if you suspect
wire-damage or see a downed wire.

Our power lines are extremely resilient and built to meet rigid state and national safety standards. Nonetheless, extreme weather like high winds, heavy ice and severe storms can damage power lines or bring them down entirely.

Read on to learn what to do in an electrical emergency:

  • Always stay 20 feet away from a downed wire or anything it is in contact with, even if there are no sparks or signs of fire. Be sure to keep kids and pets away as well.
  • Never assume a wire is not dangerous, even if it is lying still.
  • Never cross the yellow barrier tape that may be around downed power lines.
  • Exercise great caution near metal fences after severe weather, even if there are no downed wires in sight. Electric currents will be strongest where a downed wire is touching the metal fence, but even a connecting fence several backyards away can be energized and dangerous.
  • Call us immediately at 800.477.4747 in all cases.

If a downed wire lands on your vehicle when you are in it, call for help, stay in the vehicle and wait. If you must get out of the vehicle because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle, being sure not to touch it and the ground at the same time. When electricity hits the ground, it spreads out in ripples of varying voltage – like a stone skipped in water. The voltage is highest in the ring closest to the vehicle and decreases with distance. If you place one foot in a different voltage zone than the other, you could become a conductor for electricity, so hop with feet together or shuffle to get away from the vehicle.

Never touch a person who is being shocked. Act quickly, but keep yourself out of danger.

  • If you can do so safely, unplug the appliance causing the shock or turn off the power.
  • Call for medical help immediately. Once the victim is cleared from electrical contact, begin CPR.

Never throw water on an electrical fire!

If you can do so safely, turn off the power or unplug the appliance causing the fire. Call emergency services immediately.

If you smell or suspect a natural gas leak;
Call 800.947.5000

We make every effort to ensure that your natural gas systems run smoothly and safely, but in case of an emergency, it's important that you know how to recognize and report a natural gas leak. Natural gas leaks are extremely dangerous, but can be difficult to detect because natural gas is odorless and colorless. To make natural gas leaks easily identifiable, we add a harmless substance to our natural gas that makes leakages smell like rotten eggs.

What you should do if you smell or suspect a natural gas leak;
Leave the area at once.
If inside, open doors and windows on the way out.
Go to an outside location where you can no longer smell natural gas.

Call our natural gas leak hotline at 800.947.5000 to report the situation.

What you should NOT do if you smell or suspect a natural gas leak;

Do Not

  • Use matches or lighters. Avoid all open flames.
  • Use any electrical device, including appliances, doorbells and garage door openers.
  • Use any phones, including cellular phones.
  • Turn light switches on and off.
  • Try to locate the source of the natural gas leak.
  • Re-enter the building or return to the area until DTE Gas tells you it’s safe to

Our dedicated natural gas leak hotline is 800.947.5000.

This number is designated for natural gas leak reporting only – operators cannot take or transfer calls relating to other topics. You can also call our Customer Service Center at 800.477.4747 and follow the automated prompts to report a natural gas leak. We have emergency service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The American Gas Association has recognized us as a nationwide industry leader for our quick response to reported Natural gas leaks. We strive to provide exceptional and safe service to our customers.